(US centering /ˈsɛnt(ə)rɪŋ/)
1The action or process of placing something in the middle of something else.
- I love the intensity of a whirlpool's centring of things.
- The horizontal centering is not a problem.
- Once this is done, with appropriate hacks for Internet Explorer (which does not implement minimum and maximum heights), vertical centering is achieved.
2 Architecture Framing used to support an arch or dome while it is under construction.
- The centring is normally made of wood which was a relatively straightforward structure in a simple arch or vault but with more complex shapes clay or sand bound by a weak lime mortar mix could be used.
- The shaping of this sort of centring would probably be done by eye, perhaps with the help of a template and the stone or brick structure laid against it.
- Brunelleschi won the contest in 1420 with a proposal to erect the dome without wooden centering.
Definition of centring in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.