(US centering /ˈsɛnt(ə)rɪŋ/)
Definition of centring in English:
1The action or process of placing something in the middle of something else.
- I love the intensity of a whirlpool's centring of things.
- The horizontal centering is not a problem.
- Once this is done, with appropriate hacks for Internet Explorer (which does not implement minimum and maximum heights), vertical centering is achieved.
2 Architecture Framing used to support an arch or dome while it is under construction.
- The centring is normally made of wood which was a relatively straightforward structure in a simple arch or vault but with more complex shapes clay or sand bound by a weak lime mortar mix could be used.
- The shaping of this sort of centring would probably be done by eye, perhaps with the help of a template and the stone or brick structure laid against it.
- Brunelleschi won the contest in 1420 with a proposal to erect the dome without wooden centering.
Definition of centring in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan