Definition of centromere in English:
The point on a chromosome by which it is attached to a spindle fibre during cell division.
- In fact, we did not find any informative marker in the three chromosomal divisions around the centromere of this chromosome.
- The presence of a kinetochore spot indicates the centromere region of each chromosome.
- We conclude that chromosomes with damaged centromeres fail to correctly attach to the spindle, thus producing MN and monosomy.
- Example sentences
- Strains were transformed with a control centromeric plasmid or a centromeric plasmid carrying the wild-type GUK1 gene.
- In Drosophila, relocation of a euchromatic gene near centromeric or telomeric heterochromatin often leads to its mosaic silencing.
- In addition, binding of the yeast CBF3 kinetochore complex to centromeric DNA was severely compromised in this mutant.
Definition of centromere in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.