- An organelle near the nucleus of a cell which contains the centrioles (in animal cells) and from which the spindle fibres develop in cell division.More example sentences
- A legacy of these ancient symbiotic interactions is that eukaryotic cells continue to show tight links between nuclei, centrosomes and microtubules in the form of Cell Bodies.
- In most animal cells, the centrosome contains a pair of centrioles, which consist of an array of microtubules.
- At metaphase, centrosomes initiate the bipolar microtubule spindle.
late 19th century: from Latin centrum (see centre) + Greek sōma 'body'.
More definitions of centrosomeDefinition of centrosome in:
- The US English dictionary