- The commander of a century in the ancient Roman army.More example sentences
- The cohorts, divided into six centuries (100 men in each century) commanded by a centurion, became the main tactical unit of the army.
- In Colchester museum, the tombstone of a Roman centurion stands a few feet above the spot where he had lain for centuries, a poignant bridging of time and space.
- Senior non-commissioned officers were called centurions, who varied greatly in rank.
Middle English: from Latin centurio(n-), from centuria (see century).
More definitions of centurionDefinition of centurion in:
- The US English dictionary