noun[mass noun] Zoology
- The concentration of sense organs, nervous control, etc., at the anterior end of the body, forming a head and brain, both during evolution and in the course of an embryo’s development.More example sentences
- Apparently, cephalization in the complex body plans of mandibulates (insects and crustaceans) has resulted in complex regulation of both the anterior and posterior expression boundaries in the head.
- Scyphozoan polyps and medusae exhibit no cephalization and contain no brain, but in some species, light-sensitive eyespots are located along the bell margin of the medusa.
- In some flatworms, the process of cephalization has included the development in the head region of light-sensitive organs called ocelli.
More definitions of cephalizationDefinition of cephalization in:
- The US English dictionary