A small group of marine invertebrates that comprises the lancelets.
- Subphylum Cephalochordata, phylum Chordata.
- For this reason, the three subphyla, Urochordata, Cephalochordata, and Vertebrata, will be treated separately.
- Although this classification is widely accepted, some authors recognize three chordate phyla: Urochordata for the urochordates, Cephalochordata for the lancelets, and Vertebrata for the vertebrates.
- Deuterostomia are a major group of metazoans composed of three phyla: Chordata (including three subphyla: Vertebrata, Cephalochordata, and Urochordata), Hemichordata, and Echinodermata.
- Example sentences
- Five major groups are usually recognized within Deuterostomia at the level of phylum: hemichordates, echinoderms, cephalochordates, urochordates, and vertebrates.
- Comparative developmental studies of chordates have demonstrated that these regulatory genes are expressed in a conserved manner across the spectrum of body plans displayed by urochordates, cephalochordates and vertebrates.
- Also, unlike the vertebrate and cephalochordate genes, the ascidian homologues are not detected in mesodermal tissues.
Modern Latin (plural), from cephalo- 'head' + Greek chorda 'cord'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Ceph¦alo|chord¦ata
Definition of Cephalochordata in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.