- Any of a group of semi-synthetic broad-spectrum antibiotics resembling penicillin.More example sentences
- The antibiotics used were mainly cephalosporins, penicillins, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines and antituberculosis drugs.
- Major classes of antibiotics include tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, penicillins, cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, streptogramins, sulfonamides, and erythromycins.
- Patients who are allergic to penicillin can be treated with erythromycin or first-generation cephalosporins (if there is no immediate-type hypersensitivity to beta-lactam antibiotics).
1950s: from modern Latin Cephalosporium (genus providing moulds for this) + -in1.
More definitions of cephalosporinDefinition of cephalosporin in:
- The US English dictionary