- 1Made of clay and permanently hardened by heat: a ceramic bowlMore example sentences
- Remove from heat, pour into a ceramic bowl, add fifteen drops each of the lavender and sandalwood essential oil and beat until cool and creamy.
- We've translated this ancient ceramic art to polymer clay to produce pieces that are individually unique in design and colors.
- Clay or ceramic pots are the best choice for cacti.
- 1.1Relating to ceramic articles: a ceramic designerMore example sentences
- Display pieces can bring a sense of drama to the table, and Dublin-based ceramic artist and designer Michele Hannan's creations are both decorative and functional.
- Emphasis was also placed upon developing an understanding and appreciation of the work of past and contemporary designs in the ceramic field.
- He studied medical design and later ceramic design at the University of Practical Art in Vienna.
noun(ceramics) Back to top
- 1Pots and other articles made from clay hardened by heat: many of the painted ceramics are of native manufactureMore example sentences
- Her ceramics were made with clay that was baked in a kiln to make it permanent.
- Waterford Wedgwood is expected to invest in troubled British ceramics maker Royal Doulton to prevent the dilution of its stake.
- For us to make good ceramics we need to heat them and use a lot of fuel.
- 1.1 [usually treated as singular] The art of making ceramic articles.More example sentences
- With ceramics, the purely decorative is its default position.
- In her spare time she has taken up crochet and ceramics, while finalising plans for her latest business ventures and the return of St Martha.
- The craft of ceramics has been cosying up to the art world for a long time.
- 1.2 [mass noun] (ceramic) The material from which ceramics are made: tableware in ceramicMore example sentences
- The bottle can be made of clay or ceramics and hardened in an oven.
- If you are still using soft ceramics to produce shapeless clay jars or bowls, you are lagging behind the city's latest trend.
- They come in a variety of materials: ceramics, brass, bone china and cut glass.
- 1.3 [mass noun] (ceramic) Any non-metallic solid which remains hard when heated.More example sentences
- The Keronite layer is a complex oxide ceramic consisting of hard crystalline phases dislocated in a matrix of softer phases of oxide.
- Among the materials now under study are titanium- or nickel-based alloys and silicon carbide ceramic reinforced with carbon fibers.
- Both Altham and Shatrov argue that the Keronite process is superior to hard anodizing and plasma spray ceramics.
- More example sentences
- For archaeologists, historians, ceramicists and other related experts, the study of ceramics and pottery has an important bearing on social, cultural, political and economic aspects of a society in a certain period, she said.
- The exhibition - called Ripple - features the work of 16 artists from all over Britain, including painters, silversmiths, print makers, ceramicists and metal workers.
- Interestingly, many of the leading ceramicists at the beginning of last century were women, encouraged to work their way up from the factory floor when many of the men were displaced by the war.
early 19th century: from Greek keramikos, from keramos 'pottery'.
More definitions of ceramicDefinition of ceramic in:
- The US English dictionary