A North African viper which has a spike over each eye.
- Genus Cerastes, family Viperidae: two species
More example sentences
- The cerastes hides in the sand so that only its horns show; animals, thinking the horns are food, come close and are killed by the serpent.
- Crotalus comes from the Greek crotalon, a rattle or little bell; cerastes means horned, referring to the horns above its eyes.
- The cerastes is the most flexible of all serpents, so flexible that is seems to have no spine.
Definition of cerastes in:
- The US English dictionary