- archaic term for white lead.More example sentences
- The white lead made hair fall out; and the extensive use of ceruse through the Elizabethan era explains the fashion for high foreheads, as hairlines receded.
- Ceruse ought not to be administered internally.
- The ceruse mixture was applied to the neck and bosom as well as the face.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin cerussa, perhaps from Greek kēros 'wax'.
More definitions of ceruseDefinition of ceruse in:
- The US English dictionary