- A pheasant-like tree-dwelling bird of the guan family, found mainly in the forests of tropical America.
More example sentences
- Genus Ortalis, family Cracidae
- Guans and perhaps chachalacas may be more arboreal than curassows.
- More likely to be seen or heard on the plateau is the little chachalaca, a gallinaceous bird named in part for its noisy call.
- Then came the chachalacas, the chickenlike birds we'd seen the previous day, whose call, I had been promised, I would never forget.
late 19th century: via South American Spanish from Nahuatl, of imitative origin.
More definitions of chachalacaDefinition of chachalaca in:
- The US English dictionary