noun (plural same or chaebols)
- (In South Korea) a large family-owned business conglomerate.More example sentences
- Agnew noted that significant corporate reform was taking place in Seoul, despite claims that taking on the much-vaunted chaebol, or conglomerates, would be impossible.
- Nokia was originally the Finnish equivalent of a Korean chaebol, a conglomerate that manufactured all sorts of things, from paper to rubber to chemicals to TV sets.
- Roh will also challenge the chaebol, the Korean conglomerates that have dominated Korean economic life and dictated much of its politics as well.
1980s: Korean, literally 'money clan'.
More definitions of chaebolDefinition of chaebol in:
- The US English dictionary