Haggle about the terms of an agreement or price of something: I chaffered in the bazaars for objects I wanted
More example sentences
- The U. S. State Department last week was chaffering with the French government on this matter.
- He had bought him in Sydney from a sailor for eighteen shillings and chaffered an hour over the bargain.
- He was choosing from my videoarchive the pieces he wanted to show, discussed with the visitors and chaffered with them.
noun[mass noun] archaic
Haggling about the price of something.
- Kojima Productions indirectly answered all of this chaffering by giving players the ability to choose.
- There was its corn market down the main street, with hum of chaffering over open sacks.
- The liberal theory of the state, hostile to princes, rejects the princes’ greed for lands and chaffering in lands.
- Example sentences
- He turned in an instant from an outraged gentleman to an anxious chafferer recommending his goods.
- Now, with the poverty of a Christian, Gregory is immersed in the bustle of a chafferer.
- On the further side were the venders and chafferers, - old women under awnings and big umbrellas, rickety tables piled high with fruit, white caps and brown faces, blouses, sabots, donkeys.
Words that rhyme with chaffergaffer, Jaffa, kafir, Staffa
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: chaf|fer
Definition of chaffer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.