- 1A cooking pot with an outer pan of hot water, used for keeping food warm.More example sentences
- If hot food must sit out for longer than two hours, use warming trays, slow cookers or chafing dishes to keep the food hot.
- The second one broke three plates, a nice chafing dish, and a food processor, and all he was trying to do was mix up some tuna salad.
- At home, the cooked meat can be kept hot in a warm oven, in a chafing dish or slow cooker, or on a warming tray.
- 1.1A metal pan containing a spirit lamp or burning charcoal, used for cooking at table.More example sentences
- As Elizabeth David has explained, this device ‘ultimately became the elegant silver-plated chafing dish set over a spirit lamp and used for the table cookery of Edwardian dishes’.
- Methanol is often encountered in everyday life because it is a common solvent for household products as well as being used as fuel for chafing dishes.
- Now, if you will - if you can - imagine all of these things piled up together into a single tray, the tray perched on top of a handmade, tabletop sort of Sterno-fueled chafing dish, so that you've got this tower of: everything.
late 15th century: from the original (now obsolete) sense of chafe 'become warm, warm up'.
More definitions of chafing dishDefinition of chafing dish in:
- The US English dictionary