Definition of chafing dish in English:
1A cooking pot with an outer pan of hot water, used for keeping food warm.
- If hot food must sit out for longer than two hours, use warming trays, slow cookers or chafing dishes to keep the food hot.
- The second one broke three plates, a nice chafing dish, and a food processor, and all he was trying to do was mix up some tuna salad.
- At home, the cooked meat can be kept hot in a warm oven, in a chafing dish or slow cooker, or on a warming tray.
1.1A metal pan containing a spirit lamp or burning charcoal, used for cooking at table.
- As Elizabeth David has explained, this device ‘ultimately became the elegant silver-plated chafing dish set over a spirit lamp and used for the table cookery of Edwardian dishes’.
- Methanol is often encountered in everyday life because it is a common solvent for household products as well as being used as fuel for chafing dishes.
- Now, if you will - if you can - imagine all of these things piled up together into a single tray, the tray perched on top of a handmade, tabletop sort of Sterno-fueled chafing dish, so that you've got this tower of: everything.
late 15th century: from the original (now obsolete) sense of chafe 'become warm, warm up'.
Definition of chafing dish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia