- A mechanism in which power is transmitted from an engine to the wheels of a vehicle or a boat’s propeller by means of a moving endless chain.More example sentences
- It was of the ‘buggy without the horse’ type, with wooden wheels, a kerosene engine, chain drive and the usual ‘worm and tiller’ steering.
- Electric-assist bicycles use four methods to integrate the motor with the vehicle's chain-works: tire drive, chain drive, torque-sensing and hub motor.
- Ransom Eli Olds made his first cars in 1897, and his 1901 Oldsmobile Runabout had a horizontal single-cylinder 1.6-litre engine, two-speed planetary gearbox and chain drive.
- More example sentences
- The engines - initially built in 1.8L, 2.0L and 2.3L displacements - feature 16-valve heads with chain-driven dohc and sequential variable valve timing on the intake side.
- The all-aluminum 5.6 liter engine features cast-iron cylinder liners, graphite-coated pistons, a microfinished forged-steel crankshaft, chain-driven dual overhead cams, and a structural aluminum oil pan.
- The 16-valve has twin, chain-driven, overhead camshafts and hydraulic tappets, while the 8-valve format uses a single camshaft.
More definitions of chain driveDefinition of chain drive in:
- The US English dictionary