- A yellow crystalline mineral consisting of a sulphide of copper and iron. It is the principal ore of copper. Also called copper pyrites.More example sentences
- Vein minerals are barite, calcite, chalcopyrite, galena, pyrite, and sphalerite.
- The main ore minerals are galena, chalcopyrite, sphalerite, and tetrahedrite that are associated with quartz and barite gangue.
- Barite, sphalerite, and calcite are the most abundant vein minerals; pyrite, kaolinite, chalcopyrite, galena, and wurtzite are less common.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin chalcopyrites, from Greek khalkos 'copper' + puritēs (see pyrites).
More definitions of chalcopyriteDefinition of chalcopyrite in:
- The US English dictionary