A large horse-like fossil mammal of the late Tertiary period, with stout claws on the toes rather than hoofs.
- Family Chalicotheriidae, order Perissodactyla: several genera
More example sentences
- In Eurasia the fauna included early deer and giraffes, the giant indricatheres and chalicotheres that were quite different from the American types.
- A further two groups are known only from the fossil record; these are the chalicotheres and titanotheres.
- My major interest is the chalicotheres, a group of extinct clawed herbivorous perissodactyls.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Chalicotherium (genus name), from Greek khalix, khalik- 'gravel' + thērion 'wild animal'.
Definition of chalicothere in:
- The US English dictionary