Definition of chaptalization in English:
(In winemaking) the correction or improvement of must by the addition of calcium carbonate to neutralize acid, or of sugar to increase alcoholic strength.
- Not so many years ago the debate focused on chaptalization and acidification.
- In France, for example, winemakers for centuries have used a process known as chaptalization, which is the addition of fermentable materials - including cane sugar!
- The purists mock the practice of chapitalization and refer to it as cheating.
- 1chaptalize (also chaptalise) verb
- Example sentences
- In more challenging years, such as 1997 and 1992, he chaptalized a bigger portion of the harvest.
- All are chaptalised with glucose, and bottom fermented.
- Even though the sugars were low, I did not see the need to chaptalize the whites as I felt a low alcohol was appropriate to the vintage and wine style.
Late 19th century: from the name of Jean A. Chaptal (1756–1832), the French chemist who invented the process, + -ization (see -ize).
Definition of chaptalization in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.