Definition of chapter house in English:
1A building used for the meetings of the canons of a cathedral or other religious community.
- Originally the cathedral's chapter house, the building was transformed into a girls' school in 1853.
- An exhibition about the new research will be on display in the cathedral chapter house until June 30.
- The chapter house of a monastery, cathedral, or collegiate foundation was second only to the church in importance, and was usually built in close proximity to it.
1.1US A place where a college fraternity or sorority meets.
- Wayne Delia, grand delta of Phi Kappa Sigma for the North Atlantic Region, provided a chapter review based on information gathered during recent visits to the Potsdam chapter house and in meetings with college officials.
- The financial management of each fraternity/sorority chapter house is the responsibility of the student membership.
- Alpha Phi was the first women's sorority to have a chapter house.
Definition of chapter house in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan