Definition of character dance in English:
A style of ballet deriving inspiration from national or folk dances, or interpreting and representing a particular profession, mode of living, or personality.
- Maria Fay had been teaching character dance at The Royal Ballet, and I loved it, so I decided to study ballet with her as well.
- The 70 dancers will be working on creative, contemporary and Polish character dance, classical ballet and modern jazz.
- It was under Hamblin that the ballet department initiated an emphasis in teaching and in character dance.
character dancer noun
- Example sentences
- The most important reason for adding Coppelia now was to take advantage of the talents of Stanley Holden, a respected Los Angeles teacher and former principal character dancer with The Royal Ballet.
- Russell Kerr became the principal character dancer with the London Festival Ballet and danced with this company from 1952-1957 before returning to New Zealand.
- He never had any formal training as a character dancer, but years of performing have taught him key elements of stagecraft that give his performances their impact.
Definition of character dance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan