- Dishes in each region have their own set of characteristic flavours.
- She spoke all along with that characteristic exuberance on her face.
- He battled his illness with characteristic courage and fortitude and displayed a positive attitude to the end.
- A national characteristic has been identified in numerous scientific trials.
- Every facial feature and physical characteristic was identical to Alastair's.
- At the same time, most of these characteristics belong to any good person.
- His early work was on quadratic forms in fields, particularly fields of characteristic 2.
- His habilitation of 1938 studied Lie rings of prime characteristic.
Mid 17th century: from French caractéristique or medieval Latin characteristicus, from Greek kharaktēristikos, from kharaktēr 'a stamping tool'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: char|ac¦ter|is¦tic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.