- (also Swiss chard) A beet of a variety with broad edible white leaf stalks and green blades.More example sentences
- The gardeners plant a good mix of vegetables, including cucumbers, snap beans, leaf lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi, Swiss chard, beets, onions and more.
- If you can't find it (farmer's markets are your best bet), go for curly kale, Swiss chard, ruby chard or Savoy cabbage.
- Leaf shapes can be large and broader than chard, or nearly as frilly as parsley.
mid 17th century: from French carde, perhaps influenced by chardon 'thistle'.
More definitions of chardDefinition of chard in:
- The US English dictionary