1Having an electric charge.
- Because the electron was negatively charged and atoms are electrically neutral, there must be a positive charge somewhere in the atom.
- The material that captured the electron is now negatively charged and the material that lost an electron is now positively charged.
- When you switch on the electricity it separates the charged particles of the enclosed gas, thus setting up a controlled lightning display.
1.1Filled with excitement, tension, or emotion: the highly charged atmosphere created by the boycott
More example sentences
- Even though I've read the book three times so far, never once have the words conveyed the sense of excitement and the charged atmosphere that came across on film.
- No issue is quite as emotionally charged as the issue of child abuse.
- A terrific British cast, working with an emotionally charged script, keeps viewers glued to the screen.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: charged
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.