Definition of charged in English:
1Having an electric charge.
- Because the electron was negatively charged and atoms are electrically neutral, there must be a positive charge somewhere in the atom.
- The material that captured the electron is now negatively charged and the material that lost an electron is now positively charged.
- When you switch on the electricity it separates the charged particles of the enclosed gas, thus setting up a controlled lightning display.
1.1Filled with excitement, tension, or emotion: the highly charged atmosphere created by the boycott
More example sentences
- Even though I've read the book three times so far, never once have the words conveyed the sense of excitement and the charged atmosphere that came across on film.
- No issue is quite as emotionally charged as the issue of child abuse.
- A terrific British cast, working with an emotionally charged script, keeps viewers glued to the screen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.