noun (plural same)
- A trout-like freshwater or marine fish of northern countries, valued as a food and game fish.
More example sentences
- Genus Salvelinus, family Salmonidae: several species, in particular the red-bellied Arctic charr (S. alpinus), which occurs in Arctic waters, and the North American brook charr or brook trout (S. fontinalis)
- Trout, char, halibut and now cod are all being successfully farmed.
- The co-existence of pike, char, salmon and trout is well documented.
- This lure, now housed in a Cumbrian museum, is thought to have been used to fish for the elusive char that is renown in the Lake District.
mid 17th century: perhaps of Celtic origin.
More definitions of charrDefinition of charr in:
- The US English dictionary