Definition of charter school in English:
1(In North America) a publicly funded independent school established by teachers, parents, or community groups under the terms of a charter with a local or national authority.
- High Tech High is a public charter school founded by a business coalition that raised more than $6 million for start-up.
- The firm also recently designed its first school - a charter school in Escondido.
- Attracting students - 25 families came to the first open house - was easy compared with getting the charter school approved, hiring teachers and paying rent.
2 (Charter School) historical A school established by the Charter Society (founded for that purpose in 1733) to provide a Protestant education to poor Catholics in Ireland.
- A century before Carleton's time the Charter schools were established, and endowed to educate the children of the destitute poor.
- The charter schools were by no means the only sources of education in pre-nineteenth century Ireland.
Definition of charter school in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India