- 1(In North America) a publicly funded independent school established by teachers, parents, or community groups under the terms of a charter with a local or national authority.More example sentences
- High Tech High is a public charter school founded by a business coalition that raised more than $6 million for start-up.
- The firm also recently designed its first school - a charter school in Escondido.
- Attracting students - 25 families came to the first open house - was easy compared with getting the charter school approved, hiring teachers and paying rent.
- 2 (Charter School) • historical A school established by the Charter Society (founded for that purpose in 1733) to provide a Protestant education to poor Catholics in Ireland.More example sentences
- A century before Carleton's time the Charter schools were established, and endowed to educate the children of the destitute poor.
- The charter schools were by no means the only sources of education in pre-nineteenth century Ireland.
More definitions of charter schoolDefinition of charter school in:
- The US English dictionary