Definition of chaulmoogra in English:
1A tropical Asian evergreen tree with narrow leathery leaves and oil-rich seeds.
- Genus Hydnocarpus, family Flacourtiaceae: several species, in particular H. kurzii, the main source of the oil
- Finally, an expedition sent by the United States found the chaulmoogra tree in the forests of Burma.
- Tropical chaulmoogra oil comes from the expressed oil of seeds of the chaulmoogra tree.
- The chaulmoogra tree also featured on a Fiji stamp of 1970 in honour of the closing of the hospital
1.1 (also chaulmoogra oil) [mass noun] Oil obtained from the seeds of the chaulmoogra tree, used medically and as a preservative.
- This form of treatment was adopted by Dr Durack in Western Australia, who treated him with chaulmoogra oil by mouth.
- One of the standard treatments for leprosy has been to inject ethyl-esters of chaulmoogra oil into a muscle with a large bore syringe.
- In the 12th century AD, chaulmoogra oil was imported into China from Cambodia - the native home of the tree from which it is derived.
Early 19th century: from Bengali cāul-mugrā.
Definition of chaulmoogra in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.