Definition of chayote in English:
1A succulent green pear-shaped tropical fruit which resembles cucumber in flavour.
- To make it onto Northern market shelves, chayote must be light green, smooth to the touch, about 15 cm long and 450 grams in weight, and without blemishes.
- An entire Cornish hen baked in a red curry and served in a basket, it was served with a side of sautéed chayote (a green squash) and a small dish of kecap lombok, which may be one of my favourite things in the world.
- The notoriously prolific zucchini is perhaps the best-known summer squash, but the group also includes chayote, yellow crookneck and straightneck squash, as well as pattypans.
2The tropical American vine which yields the chayote, also producing an edible yam-like tuberous root.
- Sechium edule, family Cucurbitaceae
- To complicate matters, international demand for ethnic foods is unstable and the competition is fierce from other Latin American countries, meaning that prices for chayote rise and fall often and without advance notice.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan