Definition of cheapjack in English:
A seller of cheap inferior goods, typically a hawker at a fair or market.
- A cheapjack calling himself Dr Marigold took pity on this deaf and dumb child who resembled his daughter who had died.
- The days when the farmer was the cheapjack are over.
- However, it can scarcely have always been so, unless every fairground showman, circus performer, strolling player, cheapjack and Punch and Judy man in history was gay, which seems somewhat unlikely.
adjectivechiefly North American Back to top
Of inferior quality: a cheapjack vehicle
More example sentences
- It was a cheapjack company that paid writers and artists at rates ranging from poor to involuntary servitude, then printed their wares on presses that were outmoded.
- The director decided to take ‘the opportunity to beat his cheapjack imitators at their own game’.
- I looked forward to that, and began reading avidly, but soon the sonnets went off into a very cheapjack self parody, and I thought oh, how easy!
Words that rhyme with cheapjacksteeplejack • skipjack
Definition of cheapjack in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.