noun (plural cheechakos)North American • informal
- A person newly arrived in the mining districts of Alaska or NW Canada.More example sentences
- ‘Go easy on him, Rob,’ Wiley said, reaching forward to pat Dexter's broad shoulder ‘He's a cheechako.’
- Under the harsh exposure of winter, the population eroded each year as many cheechakos packed up and returned south.
- While miners, sourdoughs and cheechakos stampeded the town, Frederick Arthur Kubon was born.
late 19th century: Chinook Jargon, 'newcomer'.
More definitions of cheechakoDefinition of cheechako in:
- The US English dictionary