Definition of cheerleader in English:
1A member of a team that performs organized cheering, chanting, and dancing in support of a sports team at matches.
- To use an sporting metaphor, are cheerleaders members of the team?
- He also wants female cheerleaders and drill team members to be counted as athletes under Title IX, a policy the federal government has yet to adopt.
- I shouldn't project my opinions of one cheerleading team on all cheerleaders.
1.1An enthusiastic and vocal supporter of someone or something: he was a cheerleader for individual initiative
More example sentences
- But her most vocal cheerleaders are her children Max and Stella, aged eight and six respectively.
- It is more like self-help with an enthusiastic cheerleader.
- His religious supporters are his greatest cheerleaders.
cheerleading noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- ‘I had always thought that cheerleading was about pom-poms and chanting,’ said Will.
- The volleyball and American football teams and the cheerleading squad practised for the first time in a week - but inside.
- There is only one thing that cheerleading has prepared me for.
Definition of cheerleader in:
- US English dictionary