Definition of cheery in English:
adjective (cheerier, cheeriest)
Happy and optimistic: a cheery smile
More example sentences
- Soft music would now be heard on the background, and happy and cheery voices as well.
- He loves the wilds of Upper Wharfedale, where the locals always greet him and his crew with a cheery wave and a smile.
- He is always ready with a cheery smile and wave, and is famous for sheltering passengers with his own umbrella.
jolly, happy, merry, bright, cheerful, glad, sunny, joyful, joyous, light-hearted, in high spirits, sparkling, bubbly, exuberant, ebullient, cock-a-hoop, elated, blissful, ecstatic, euphoric, gleeful, breezy, airy, sprightly, jaunty, animated, radiant, smiling, grinning, laughing, mirthful, frolicsome;
happy-go-lucky, in good spirits, carefree, unworried, untroubled, without a care in the world, full of the joys of spring;
buoyant, optimistic, hopeful, full of hope, positive, content
informal upbeat, chipper, chirpy, smiley, peppy, sparky, zippy, zingy, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, full of beans, full of vim and vigour
North American informal peart
archaic of good cheer
- Example sentences
- The other car drove by and we waved cheerily at the old men.
- I wave cheerily to the grey-haired security man who, perhaps momentarily confused, waves back and raises the barrier.
- Polite to the last, he cheerily refused a replacement.
- Example sentences
- That number rings fifteen times before the human pops-on with practiced cheeriness: ‘How may I help you?’
- In place of anything resembling cheeriness he has a wickedly dark humour, a gift for satire and an imagination powerful enough to leap the space-time continuum in his fiction.
- One justification for his cheeriness was the knowledge that performing well against the world champion would enhance the validity of his comeback.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia