A small shiny black fly whose larvae infest cheese. Also called cheese-skipper.
- Piophila casei, family Piophilidae
More example sentences
- The cheese fly consumes any remaining moist flesh at this stage, even though it is uncommon earlier in decay.
- The larvae of the cheese fly are deliberately introduced to the cheese to prompt an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down the cheese's fat.
- Its features are essentially given by the development of cheese fly larvae within it during the seasoning.
Definition of cheese fly in:
- The US English dictionary