Definition of chemisorption in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
Adsorption in which the adsorbed substance is held by chemical bonds.
- Chemists make a distinction between chemical adsorption, or chemisorption, characterized by the formation of chemical bonds with the substrate, and physical adsorption or physisorption, which results from the van der Waals force.
- This model is most appropriate when interactions between the MC and its environment are purely surface phenomena, as in the chemisorption of thiol molecules on the smooth surface of a gold-coated cantilever.
- These data support what has already been suggested: that the DOPA side-chain in proteins serves two important roles in adhesion-the formation of cross-links and interfacial complexes in chemisorption.
- chemisorbed adjective
- Example sentences
- These findings indicate that in physiological conditions the divalent counterions are not chemisorbed on the surface of the DNA molecule but are confined in a narrow sheath.
- This resulted in a hydrophobic, self-assembled monolayer of octanethiol, chemisorbed to the gold-covered areas, whereas the mica regions remained uncovered.
- In both theories, the PAD is calculated for an isolated chemisorbed atom or surface molecule complex.
Definition of chemisorption in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.