Definition of chemoreceptor in English:
A sensory cell or organ responsive to chemical stimuli.
- For this reason, we would not expect this to cause stimulation of the chemoreceptors, which would affect autonomic modulation.
- A variety of inputs from chemoreceptors and mechanoreceptors can contribute to the arousal response that terminates a period of apnea in OSA patients.
- The central hydrogen ion chemoreceptors are somewhat redundant, sensing the same stimulus as the carotid bodies.
- Example sentences
- Leusen initiated the modern investigation of central chemoreception in 1950, using perfusion of the cerebral ventricles with artificial cerebrospinal fluid in anesthetized dogs.
- Chemical stimuli obtained during chemoreception can be used by animals to modify numerous essential behaviors, including foraging, predator avoidance, reproduction, orientation, and aggression.
- Owing to its participation in two separate functions, feeding and chemoreception, the tongue is the locus of a clear functional trade-off.
Definition of chemoreceptor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia