Definition of chemotaxis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
Movement of a motile cell or organism, or part of one, in a direction corresponding to a gradient of increasing or decreasing concentration of a particular substance.
- They may stimulate different functions including angiogenesis, enzyme production, cell migration, chemotaxis, and cellular proliferation.
- This mechanism gives the bacterium its ability to follow the gradient of chemical concentration, i.e., chemotaxis.
- About 50 genes are involved in cell motility and chemotaxis.
- chemotactic adjective
- Example sentences
- In general, chemotactic and phagocytic responses are significantly reduced.
- The biochemistry and structural biology of the chemotactic phosphorelay is now understood in some detail.
- Besides resulting in a loss of barrier and secretory function, such damage elicits the production of chemotactic cytokines, leading to further inflammation.
Definition of chemotaxis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.