- 1Having a pattern consisting of alternating squares of different colours: a blue and white chequered tableclothMore example sentences
- The wooden board had a checkered pattern of sixty-four black and white squares and a compartment on either side of the board.
- Modern checkered patterns and jacquards and high-quality uni-colours are the most popular in the international market this spring.
- The modern game dates from the 15th century, when the board of squares became chequered and the pieces gained their present form.
- 2Marked by periods of varied fortune or discreditable incidents: the chequered history of post-war BritainMore example sentences
- What was Adams thinking when he hired a man with a checkered past and a history of skirting the rules?
- The story, a labyrinthine mystery set in 1830s France, concerns a brilliant detective with a checkered past on the trail of a potentially supernatural killer who wears a featureless, reflective mask.
- He pokes fun at his checkered past by greeting concert audiences with the catchphrase, ‘Good to be here, good to be anywhere.’