A flag with a black-and-white chequered pattern, displayed to drivers at the end of a race.
- Even though our drivers did not score any points in the race, we decided to pass the chequered flag out of respect for the spirit of the new rules.
- He won pole position with a blistering qualifying time and controlled the race leading from the green light to the chequered flag, registering the race's fastest lap in the process.
- The eventful race which followed concluded with the team crossing the line 4th in class at the chequered flag and thus securing valuable points in the championship.
take the chequered flag
- Finish first in a race: defending champion Lyons went on to take the chequered flagMore example sentences
- I'm upset that I wasn't able to finish the race and take the chequered flag today.
- He started on pole in both the races and took the chequered flag with comfort.
- He took the checkered flag at this race one year ago.
Definition of chequered flag in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.