- 1A knight.More example sentences
- The poor chevalier de La Barre subsequently joined Calas in the ranks of the Enlightenment's martyrs.
- In 1808 the imperial nobility was completed with the ranks of count, baron, and chevalier, all of them hereditary.
- Philippe, chevalier de Lorraine, like Guiche before him, bore a striking resemblance to Louis himself.
- 1.1A member of certain orders of knighthood or of modern French orders such as the Legion of Honour.More example sentences
- He was also honoured with France's highest cultural honour, becoming a chevalier of the Legion d' Honneur, in the same year Sophie met a brutal death.
- He was made a chevalier of the French Legion of Honor in 1896, and received the Order of Saint Michael from the government of Bavaria in 1898.
- Coolidge organised courses for his men at the Sorbonne in 1919 and in that year the French government made him a chevalier of the Légion d' Honneur.
- 1.2 (Chevalier) British • historical A title of the Old and Young Pretenders.More example sentences
- If anybody needs reminding, Hector and Plunder also went by the names of Charles Edward and Henry Benedict, i.e. the Young Pretender / Chevalier and his brother.
More definitions of chevalierDefinition of chevalier in:
- The US English dictionary