- A small deer-like mammal with small tusks, typically nocturnal and found in the tropical rainforests of Africa and southern Asia. Also called mouse deer.
More example sentences
- Family Tragulidae: genera Tragulus (three Asian species) and Hyemoschus (one African species)
- Ecologically, they range from forest dwellers, such as wild pigs and chevrotains, to dominant large herbivores on grasslands.
- In the Duala headdresses, the animal is an antelope, perhaps the African water chevrotain that was once common in the Delta and the Wouri estuary.
- The parallel antelope masking forms of the Ijebu Agbo society are associated with a water spirit of Ijo derivation based on the African water chevrotain.
late 18th century: from French, diminutive of Old French chevrot, diminutive of chèvre 'goat'.
More definitions of chevrotainDefinition of chevrotain in:
- The US English dictionary