Words that rhyme with CheyenneAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, artisan, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, clan, courtesan, cran, dan, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, partisan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, rattan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
noun (plural same or Cheyennes)
1A member of an American Indian people formerly living between the Missouri and Arkansas Rivers but now on reservations in Montana and Oklahoma.
- On 25 June 1876, Custer attacked a great village of Sioux and Cheyennes on Montana's Little Bighorn River.
- Between 1866 and 1891 these men participated in several notable campaigns against Kiowas, Comanches, Cheyennes, Apaches, and Lakotas.
- Beginning in 1856, Oglalas, Cheyennes, Arapahos, and a few people from other Lakota tribes waged an all-out war on the Crows.
2 [mass noun] The Algonquian language of the Cheyenne, now almost extinct.
- The generations that succeed us will be unable to articulate those same feelings in Cheyenne, since English is now their first language.
- The Indian language is also authentic Cheyenne throughout, and real Cheyenne were used as much as possible for the Indian roles.
- I want to greet in our Cheyenne language those who've journeyed on before me because I know that Cheyenne is the only language they know, the only language they ever needed to know.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Cheyenne or their language.
- Just because our children are born to Cheyenne parents on Cheyenne land and engage in Cheyenne traditional practices does not mean they are automatically predisposed to learning the Cheyenne language.
- Thwarting a U.S. raid at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, Sioux and Cheyenne braves took no prisoners, killing Custer and 265 of his men.
- This battle involved the U.S.A. army against the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.