Definition of chicken hawk in English:
1A hawk of a type that is reputed to prey on domestic fowl.
- Overhead, a tiny but persistent washi bird attacked a much bigger chicken hawk on the wing to try and get feathers for its nest.
- A solitary chicken hawk circled so slowly on a high updraft of air that he looked to be hanging motionless, a small brown kite.
- Red-tailed hawks are returning. They are also called chicken hawks although they normally eat more rodents, woodchucks, and rabbits than chickens.
2 informal A person who speaks out in support of war yet has avoided active military service.
- In a whole series of pieces, Newfield went after what he crudely called the chicken hawks, the right-wing drum-bangers who had either dodged the war or invented a record in it.
- Like every other member of the group, we evaded the war in Vietnam. Some people see an ethical problem in this; they refer to us as chicken hawks.
- What amazes me is how the current chicken hawks have conned America about how patriotic they are.
Definition of chicken hawk in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia