- An infectious disease causing a mild fever and a rash of itchy inflamed pimples which turn to blisters and then loose scabs. It is caused by the herpes zoster virus and mainly affects children. Also called varicella.More example sentences
- Viruses including flu, herpes, measles and chickenpox can cause pneumonia.
- Generally, chickenpox is a milder illness for children than it is for adults.
- Some children were suffering from malaria, chickenpox and diarrhea.
early 18th century: probably so named because of its mildness, as compared to smallpox.
More definitions of chickenpoxDefinition of chickenpox in:
- The US English dictionary