- 1A round yellowish edible seed, widely used as a pulse. Also called garbanzo.More example sentences
- Cut back and focus on getting more of your protein from vegetables like chickpeas and lima beans.
- The soup is packed with healthy ingredients like garlic, carrots, chickpeas, and corn.
- Almonds, walnuts, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas and sunflower seeds are healthy options.
- 2The Old World plant of the pea family which bears chickpeas.
More example sentences
- Cicer arietinum, family Leguminosae
- The pods in the spaced chickpea plants were fully exposed to light for most of the day.
- A different mineral nutrient solution was applied to each of four groups of chickpea plants from the time of transplanting to the sand mixture (7 d after imbibition).
- The chickpea is a delicate, graceful plant that branches near the ground and is usually about 2 feet high.
early 18th century (earlier as chiche-pease): from late Middle English chiche (from Old French chiche, cice, from Latin cicer 'chickpea') + pease.
More definitions of chickpeaDefinition of chickpea in:
- The US English dictionary