- 1The milky latex of the sapodilla tree, formerly chewed by the Aztecs and now used to make chewing gum.More example sentences
- Then immerse yourself in the exotic oasis of nearby Foster Botanical Garden, and send the kids sleuthing for chocolate, cinnamon, and chicle (chewing gum) trees, amid other varieties.
- The tree, which also produces the gum chicle, from which chewing gum is made, was cultivated in the region long before the arrival of the Spaniards.
- To the east lay the airstrip built half a century ago, when Wrigley's planes flew in regularly to buy chicle tree resin.
- 1.1 another term for sapodilla.
via Latin American Spanish, from Nahuatl tzictli.
More definitions of chicleDefinition of chicle in:
- The US English dictionary