Definition of chicory in English:
noun (plural chicories)
1British A blue-flowered Mediterranean plant of the daisy family, cultivated for its edible salad leaves and carrot-shaped root.
- Cichorium intybus, family Compositae
- I usually make a chicory salad for afterwards, something crisp and slightly bitter.
- Cut the base off the chicory and remove any damaged outer leaves.
- He served salads of dandelion and strips of bacon, or chicory with garlic and croutons.
1.1 [mass noun] The root of the chicory plant, which is roasted and ground for use as an additive to or substitute for coffee.
- I am including roasted chicory in the list of exempted items as coffee itself is free from excise duty.
- This herbal coffee is made from a blend of herbs, grains, fruits and nuts like chicory root, roasted carob and figs.
- The café is considered to be the home of beignet and chicory coffee.
Words that rhyme with chicorychickaree, hickory, Terpsichore, trickery
Definition of chicory in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.