- 1Mainly: he is remembered chiefly for his organ sonatasMore example sentences
mainly, in the main, primarily, principally, predominantly, above all, mostly, for the most part, first and foremost, especially, particularly, essentially, substantially; usually, customarily, habitually, typically, commonly, generally, on the whole, largely, by and large, as a rule, in most instances, almost always, almost entirely, to a large extent, to a great degree
- The grapes here, mainly Piróvano, are chiefly sold as table grapes but some particularly alcoholic wine, both red and white, is made.
- This is chiefly an issue for primary schools, both in Kingston and nationally.
- They were primarily portraitists, but Thomas is now chiefly remembered for his dramatic Boadicea monument at Westminster Bridge, London, showing the fearsome warrior queen in her chariot.
- 1.1For the most part; mostly: an audience consisting chiefly of women between the ages of 18 and 54More example sentences
- Biological products (which consist chiefly of larva-killing bacteria) as well as pesticide chemicals, may be used.
- In recent years, this group has consisted chiefly of conservatives unhappy with what they viewed as an unwarranted expansion of federal authority.
- I once met an Algerian in Blackpool who expressed surprise that England consisted chiefly of carnival rides, ice-cream parlours and amusement arcades.