Definition of chigger in English:
1A tropical flea, the female of which burrows and lays eggs beneath the host’s skin, causing painful sores. Also called chigoe, sand flea.
- Tunga penetrans, family Tungidae
- Deet protects troops on the ground from mosquitoes, deer ticks, biting flies, chiggers, fleas and other insects.
- Not only does it repel mosquitoes, but it repels ticks, chiggers, fleas, and flies, too.
- Although I have not subjected myself to all of these, the label says that Repel disgusts chiggers, fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and sand fleas.
2North American A harvest mite.
- We pulled up a couple of plants and scrubbed them against our trouser legs and were never bothered by ticks or chiggers or other insects while we were gathering fruit.
- Our president compares the rebel leader, to a tiny jigger, the parasite that lives in feet and can be dealt with in an instant.
Mid 18th century: variant of chigoe.
Words that rhyme with chiggerconfigure, figure, Frigga, jigger, ligger, rigger, rigor, rigour, snigger, swigger, transfigure, trigger, vigour (US vigor)
Definition of chigger in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.