- 1A tropical flea, the female of which burrows and lays eggs beneath the host’s skin, causing painful sores. Also called chigoe, sand flea.
More example sentences
- Tunga penetrans, family Tungidae
- Deet protects troops on the ground from mosquitoes, deer ticks, biting flies, chiggers, fleas and other insects.
- Not only does it repel mosquitoes, but it repels ticks, chiggers, fleas, and flies, too.
- Although I have not subjected myself to all of these, the label says that Repel disgusts chiggers, fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and sand fleas.
- 2North American A harvest mite.More example sentences
- We pulled up a couple of plants and scrubbed them against our trouser legs and were never bothered by ticks or chiggers or other insects while we were gathering fruit.
- Our president compares the rebel leader, to a tiny jigger, the parasite that lives in feet and can be dealt with in an instant.
mid 18th century: variant of chigoe.
More definitions of chiggerDefinition of chigger in:
- The US English dictionary