Definition of child allowance in English:
1 informal term for child benefit.
- Even his child allowance has been transferred to the woman.
- I know the government is talking about giving tax credits for crèche fees, but I think any benefits should be added onto the child allowance.
- Part of the condition of moving back in with us is that she gives me her monthly child allowance to help meet some of the baby's costs.
1.1 historical (In the UK) a tax allowance granted to parents of dependent children.
- This allowance cannot be simultaneously claimed with an incapacitated child allowance or a dependent relative allowance.
- These countries offer some form of health insurance, child care support, paid parental leave, and tax cuts or child allowances for parents.
- The universal child allowance, which had consisted primarily of a reduction in the taxes withheld from a father's pay, was replaced by a cash benefit to the mother.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.