Another term for millenarian.
- In the end, this is the argument that Origen made to his Jewish critics (and to Christian chiliasts): their view of what it means for the prophecies to be fulfilled is too restricted.
- Weber has read one great slate of unhappiness, history as written by sects and prophets, millenarians, chiliasts, and televangelists.
- The early Montanists, it turns out, were not chiliasts and were never criticized for being so.
- Example sentences
- As Abdel Aziz Sachedina has noted in his Islamic Messianism, the Antichrist motif is also present in Shi'ite chiliasm.
- At the end of the time when the cycle of chiliasms shall be exhausted, the complete paradise will come.
- This teaching is known as chiliasm, from the Greek chiliasmos, meaning ‘a thousand years.’
Late 16th century: via late Latin from Greek khiliastēs, from khilias 'a thousand years', from khilioi 'thousand'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: chili|ast
Definition of chiliast in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.