Definition of chiliast in English:
Another term for millenarian.
- In the end, this is the argument that Origen made to his Jewish critics (and to Christian chiliasts): their view of what it means for the prophecies to be fulfilled is too restricted.
- Weber has read one great slate of unhappiness, history as written by sects and prophets, millenarians, chiliasts, and televangelists.
- The early Montanists, it turns out, were not chiliasts and were never criticized for being so.
- Example sentences
- As Abdel Aziz Sachedina has noted in his Islamic Messianism, the Antichrist motif is also present in Shi'ite chiliasm.
- At the end of the time when the cycle of chiliasms shall be exhausted, the complete paradise will come.
- This teaching is known as chiliasm, from the Greek chiliasmos, meaning ‘a thousand years.’
Definition of chiliast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia