1A North American chestnut tree.
- Several species in the family Fagaceae, in particular Castanea pumila
More example sentences
- They're also checking related species - chestnuts, beeches, and chinquapins - as well as rhododendron and huckleberry relatives: manzanitas, cranberries, and more.
- West Texas generally offers landscapes of muted colors - sepia earth and vast sun-bleached skies - but this canyon cradles a riparian forest of big-tooth maple, alligator juniper, and chinquapin oak.
- Black oak, red oak, chinquapin oak, bitternut hickory, and pignut hickory are common near hill summits, where the driest conditions prevail.
early 17th century: from Virginia Algonquian.
Definition of chinquapin in:
- The US English dictionary